United States Supreme Court Reporters -- Print
- Notes: The early volumes of United States Reports were originally published as separate reporters (Dallas, Cranch, Wheaton, Peters, Howard, Black and Wall). For example, volume 33 of United States Reports was originally volume 8 of Peters Reports, so you will see this volume cited 33 U.S. (8 Pet.) in newer writings, but simply 8 Pet. in older cases.
United States Supreme Court Reporters -- Online
Lower Federal Courts Reporters -- Print
- Coverage: 1789-1879
- Notes: Early federal cases appeared in a variety of reporters, but were reprinted in Federal Cases, a retrospective companion to the Federal Reporter.
- Coverage: 1st Series, 1880 - 1924; 2nd Series, 1924 - 1993; 3rd Series, 1993 - present
- Coverage: 1st Series 1932- 1998; 2nd Series, 1998 - present
- Coverage: 1939 - present
Lower Federal Courts Reporters -- Online
- Coverage: All United States Reports
- Coverage: Pre 1939
- Coverage: 1939 - 1960
- Coverage: 1961 - present
Dockets & Filings
In addition to the opinions as appear in the reporters above, additional documents which were filed in a case may also be available, such as the complaint, briefs, etc. The case docket will list a of the documents were filed in a case.
Dockets are available electronically from the mid 1990s to the present. UW law school faculty and staff may request access to Bloomberg Law which has a collection of federal and state dockets. If you're not a UW law school faculty and staff member, contact a law librarian.
If you would like to see a copy of a case filing, please contact a law librarian. We can help you determine the best way to obtain the document. Note that there may be a fee involved.
UW Law Library
Ask a Librarian
Ask a Librarian